Saturday, May 13, 2006

BORING RAP?

Andrew Sullivan has a link to an article by Clive Davis (not the record mogul) about how boring rap is these days.

Although I'm not a huge rap fan I grew up during its rise and every once in awhile I think an album comes out that exceeds the normal drivel.

But it is definitely an ebb and flow situation. And I do agree that not much has come out since the Chronic in 1992 that has blown me away.

In my opinion, some of the better rap/hip hop albums over the years are:

1. Fear of a Black Planet Public Enemy - Defined the genre, probably the Sgt. Pepper's of rap
2. Paul's Boutique - The Beastie Boys-dropped their classic rock guitar riffs from their debut to find their unique sound
3. Raising Hell Run DMC - woke the world up with a smart collaboration with Aerosmith and a number of other catchy tunes
4. LL Cool J -- "Mama Said Knock You Out" - LL = SMOOTH
5. 3 Years 5 Months & 2 Days in the Life of-- Arrested Development - too bad they never made another album that came close to this gem
6. The Chronic Dr. Dre (Snoop Dogg's Debut) - I'm sorry, Eminem fans but every thing he's done is a rip-off of this
7. Nelly Country Grammar - people will pick on this choice but I think he brought something a little different to the world of rap

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home