Friday, May 13, 2005

Alright it's list time

When I'm being lame and have a lack of new ideas for a blog entry with some slight degree of creativity I do a list.

This one is Cousin Don's top five favorite modern (after 1960) works of Fiction: (I'd put links but then I'd feel like I was shilling for Amazon)

1. Unbearable Lightness of Being - Milan Kundera
Unbelievable book full of sex, philosophy, and set against the backdrop of Prague falling to Communist Russia.

2. Cat's Cradle - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
Great, hysterical work by Vonnegut (I like it better than Slaughterhouse V) with lots of Cornell references which mock my alma mater much to my pleasure.

3. Another Roadside Attraction - Tom Robbins
The body of the messiah found on the side of the road. Bizarre and brilliant!

4. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay - Michael Chabon
I read his first novel The Mysteries of Pittsburgh when it first hit paperback, and then Wonder Boys in hardcover. The most stylish writer of American prose since Faulkner IMHO. I was glad to see The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay win the Pulitzer.

5. Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
Sci-fi with a twist. This book blew me away when I first read it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home