Monday, November 01, 2004

Halloween

Well that was an interesting Halloween. About 5:30 yesterday evening, I was outside lighting our Jack-O-Lantern, and a group of four teenagers passed by on the street.

The tallest boy, maybe 6 feet, asked if I had any candy for him. I told him that candy was only available for trick-or-treaters in costume, and if he wanted any he would have to come back dressed in the spirit if the night. Trying to be a nice guy, I also pointed out that my next door neighbor had an unattended tray if he really wanted a candy bar to munch on.

As I watched, this young man walked up to my neighbor's porch, picked up the entire tray of candy, and proceeded down the street with it. I called out to him, "Hey, put that back," but the group continued on.

Feeling that I was witnessing someone actually stealing candy from children, I hustled out and got in front of the young man. "C'mon, man, that's for the kids," I implored. "Are you gonna put it back for me?" he responded.

"Yeah, I can do that," I said, grasping the tray in both hands. The youth wrenched the tray in my hands, twisting my wrists, and spilling most of the candy. Shocked, I pushed his shoulder to get a little distance from him and referred to him as a the male offspring of a female dog.

At this point I had apparently challenged him in front of his friends, and he assumed a comic boxing pose, saying, "Let's go, man." Realizing I now had the candy tray in my hands, I told him I didn't want any more to do with him, but he took a roundhouse left at my head, which I ducked neatly.

Thankfully, I didn't lose my temper, and backed off with the understanding that any escalation from this point was not in my best interest.

Later the same night, a sweet little girl in a fairy costume came by for candy, and wouldn't leave until I had given her a hug. I came away from the night very confused about our youth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home