Friday, October 22, 2004

Schadenfreude

My Yankees lost to the Red Sox and will not win the World Series for the fourth consecutive year (so much for the dominance of the "evil empire").

The interesting thing to me has been the parade of co-workers coming by my desk expecting to find me miserable. And they seem almost disapointed to find me as cheerful as I am most every day.

These are not Red Sox fans, mind you, or even baseball fans. These are just people that want to stop by and throw a little salt into what they think might be an open wound. Very strange, because they are, for the most part, otherwise sweet and kind people.

I guess schadenfreude is largely inescapable. For my part, I am happy the Yanks were thoroughly spanked in game 7, so I don't have to spend the winter bemoaning the lack of a timely hit or clutch strike out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home