Friday, July 22, 2005

Sorry, Paul

Paul Begala is a piece of work. In this post, I reproduced a Begala quote:
"I was driving past the Pentagon when that plane hit" on Sept. 11, 2001. "I had friends on that plane; this is deadly serious to me," Begala said.

"They want to kill me and my children if they can. But if they just kill me and not my children, they want my children to be comforted -- that while they didn't protect me because they cut my taxes, my children won't have to pay any money on the money they inherit," Begala said. "That is bulls*** national defense, and we should say that."
Begala is now backing away from that. But you know who he claims is to blaim for the uproar over that quote? Wait for it ... THE CONSERVATIVES! Apparently, anyone who thought the first two "theys" and the second two "theys" were the same people are too dimwitted to follow Begala's nuanced thought processes.
"I concluded with the observation that, perhaps if the terrorists killed me, the Republicans would want my children to take comfort in knowing they won't have to pay any tax on the money they'll inherit."
Here's Begala's "explanation:"
Begala conceded that, "I did use the pronoun 'they' without a clear antecedent." He apologized to a former high school teacher, who Begala stated had taught him sufficiently for him not to make such a grammatical slip.
Oh, OK. Sometimes "they" means terrorists, and sometimes "they" means Republicans. Even in the same sentence. It's just a grammatical slip, you see. And if you didn't get it, then what does Begala have to say about you? Try this on for size:
He wondered why the conservative bloggers who reacted to the Cybercast News Service article "could be such dunderheads -- or so duplicitous" and "that they have such a low image of themselves that they would think that anyone would confuse them with terrorists."
Wow, that's a boatload. Former Clinton advisor Paul Begala called me a "dunderhead," "duplicitous," and accused me of having a "low image" of myself, all for failing to nuance his multiple missing antecedents. Shame on me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home