Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Dispatch From The Religion of Peace

27-year-old Dutch-Moroccan Mohammed Bouyeri is on trial in the Netherlands for the murder of filmmaker Theo van Gogh. So how does he defend himself? Well, he doesn't:
The man accused of killing Dutch filmmaker Theo van Gogh confessed to a Dutch court that he acted out of his religious beliefs, saying he would do "exactly the same" if he were ever set free.

"I take complete responsibility for my actions. I acted purely in the name of my religion."
The tough Dutch legal system, currently on display in Aruba as well, has some pretty frightfull penalties in mind for this barbarian.
In addition to a life sentence, the prosecution also demanded that Bouyeri be stripped of his right to vote or stand for election for the rest of his life.
Now there's a deterrent to violent crime. No voting or campaigning for you! And Mohammed, for his part, had no quams about throwing a little salt into the wound.
"I have to admit I do not feel for you, I do not feel your pain, I cannot -- I don't know what it is like to lose a child," he said as Van Gogh's family and friends looked on.

"I cannot feel for you ... because I believe you are an infidel," he added.
And finally, in the end, we learn how much the Dutch and Aruban legal systems have in common:
Even though prosecutors have said that Bouyeri was "a leading figure" in a terrorist organization known as the Hofstad group, he has not yet been charged in that connection because of lack of evidence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home