Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Gun Control, Virginia Style

Here's an interesting story from Richmond:
In the past, rules about firearms in the Capitol and adjoining legislative office building were virtually non-existent. People with concealed weapons were required to show their permits, but those who openly carried pistols walked past Capitol Police officers, no questions asked.
This year, new rules ban any public display of firearms, effectively barring anyone who has not been approved for a concealed weapon permit. The restrictions have angered gun-rights groups and even some lawmakers, who are trying to rescind the regulations.
Let me state at the outset that I am a gun guy. I like guns. I own guns. But there is something surreal about the thought of unholstering my weapon, walking through a metal detector, and having it handed back to me. "See that feller yonder with the .45 ACP? I had to take a knife off him before we could let him in." Governments are strange beasts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home