Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Color-Blind Affirmative Action

I'm watching Fox and Friends first while feeding Kurt's brand new cousin here, and I can't believe what I am seeing. Dr. Julianne Malveaux is debating some "conservative" woman about the Condaleeza Rice confirmation. Dr. Malveaux reports that Barbara Boxer is going to stand up and say something like, "Condi you're qualified but I believe your zeal and mission blinded you from hearing the truth."

So, basically, Babs "Sore loser" Boxer and Dr. Malveaux believe in affirmative action based upon the color of your skin for everyone but Condi?

Oh, yeah, I forgot Condi is actually qualified for the job, but still why doesn't that allow her to get a smooth confirmation hearing?

Why? Is it because she's conservative?

Do you think you'd see a bunch of Republican Senators beating up a black woman during a confirmation hearing for Secretary of State?

Oh yeah, wait a sec, they never nominated a black woman for secretary of State. As a matter of fact, come to think of it, has anyone checked under Madeline Albright's skirt? 'Cause God knows (and I mean this as a compliment, sort of), she's got bigger balls than I do.

Why not make affirmative action means based and end it after people graduate from college?

If you try to tell me it doesn't exist beyond college that's B.S. I've worked for big companies and within government labs and universities and trust me it may not be "official" policy, but when you are hiring you are told to give special consideration to certain individuals because we need to make our numbers look better.

Make affirmative action based upon where you went to school. If you went to a crappy school in Camden NJ or a crappy school in the "Dub T" (that's white trash for those not hip with the lingo)section of rural West Virginia you should get affirmative action. Now that would truly help the people the system failed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home