Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Liberal Tolerance

From Merriam Webster online:

Argument: a reason given in proof or rebuttal; discourse intended to persuade

Fight: to contend against in or as if in battle or physical combat

Now I love a good argument. Argument implies give and take, and a respectful response. Unfortunately, the left doesn’t like to argue. They much prefer a good fight, the nastier and more petulant the better.

Example One: You may remember I suggested that maybe lifeguards might not need professional counseling in the wake of a drowning. The response? I was deemed “sub-human.”

Example Two: A thread on a widow’s bulletin board was going on and on about how great Ted Kennedy is. I pointed out that he isn’t that great, remembering Mary Jo Kopechne. The response?
Kurt- as a cancer widow-I don't find that comment necessary. […]

a comment like that has no place on this board.
The thread then goes on to celebrate Michelle Obama and her girls, which is all fine. But when I pointed out that my post was at least as relevant, I was greeted by this:
And Kurt? No wonder you cannot relate to Obama. He was actually married to his wife when she got pregnant with their beautiful daughters.
Now, Laurel and I have made no secret that we were pregnant when we married, so this is nothing more than a mean spirited, snarky put-down. I am sure the poster considers herself quite clever, but she is simply being nasty for the sake of it. I am sure if you asked her, she would profess to being a “tolerant,” “non judgmental” person.

Needless to say, Laurel is less than thrilled and has asked for an apology. We shall see what happens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home