Thursday, July 31, 2008

I am Sub-Human

The author of The Ridgewood Blog reposted my post concerning the modern "need" for counselors at every adversity. It has elicited some none-to-polite responses from the Villagers, most of whom prefer to insult me from behind the veil of anonymity:
"Wow, you're a coldhearted SOB aren't you?"

"remove this post...the author must be sub-human"

"What the hell is wrong with you and your dumbass remarks. And for you PJ why would you even post something as stupid as this??"

"Whoever you are, you sound like a really insensitive jerk."
In case anybody missed it, I didn't insult a single individual in my post. I made an observation of how society has changed in thirty years, using this event to illustrate something that wouldn't have happened in my lifeguarding days. Personal insults in no way invalidate my observation. To be fair, a few people pointed out that the counseling was appreciated by those who received it. To that, I say "terrific, I am glad you were helped." Now, could somebody explain to me why it's the responsibility of the Ridgewood taxpayer to pay for it?

I honestly believe that most people are strong enough and resilient enough to get through a great many difficulties on their own, or with the support of their own family and social networks. This is not a war, and it's not akin to PTSD (as one commenter implied). I would argue that my faith in most people's ability to successfully manage their lives without "professional counseling" is a more respectful position than those who think their neighbors so fragile that the professionals must be called in to help, whether they are asked for or not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home