Friday, October 21, 2005

The Humorless Left - Again

Sunday in this post I observed the apparent lack of good humor on the left:
I love liberals because they are so predictably humorless and over-the-top. Give 'em a gentle nudge in the ribs just for fun, and they squeal like stuck pigs.
Now, via Tim Blair comes this from Australia:
Perhaps more important, it shows how the Australian Left, or at least those members who blog, has become a bunch of whining, humourless, self-absorbed bores.
[...]

This doesn't necessarily mean the Right is correct and morally superior, or that the Left is behind and lacking scruples.

It does mean Right-wing blogs are more fun to read and thus their messages are more frequently seen by non-combatants.

And humour can do more to destroy an argument and puncture a buffoon than earnest, self-important dreariness.
I'm sure if I was more proficient at humor, we would have more readers around here. But at least I know that I'm not getting much humor out of my writing, and that I should try to do better. According to the article, the left is humorless because they are to damn self-important for that:
People convinced of their own purity of soul and vision, and of unalloyed evil in others, rarely find room for real dissent, or genuine laughter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home