Sunday, April 11, 2004

Happy Easter!

Saturday night, the wife noticed the kitchen faucet (Price Phister $150 thank you) was running slow. I told her I would fix it tomorrow as soon as I completed the yard work.

Well, Easter Sunday dawned gloomy and rainy, so the faucet was "in play." I removed the aerator to see if it was clogged, breaking the metal screen in the process. The aerator looked okay (albeit now broken), so I removed the faucet pipe to check it.

The first order of business was to replace the broken aerator, so I set out to Lowes. The didn't have the right size; I stopped at Home Depot and picked one up there,
Returning home, I discovered that the aerator had the proper diameter for my decorative faucet, but it was too deep and obscured the threads. I also discovered that the faucet itself was now leaking at the sink, and needed a new "O" ring. It was noon.

My wife wanted to go to Nordstrom to check out the sale rack, so I went along with the idea of picking up a proper aerator and O-ring on the way home. Nordstrom was closed for the Easter, and Taylor's Do-It Center didn't have the right size O-ring. It was 2:00, and I paused briefly to watch a Yankee scoring threat evaporate. Over at Ocean View Hardware, I located my O-ring.

Still needing an aerator, I headed to a second Taylor's, cognizant of the unwritten rule that you can't go back to the same store for the same project more than once in six hours. No luck. On the way home, I stopped at an Ace, and the helpful hardware man helped me canibilize a stock aerator and fit it into my faucet, which now runs properly, if slowly. It was 4 PM.

Summary:
Saturday night: a slow faucet. Sunday's solution: two big-box home improvement centers, four hardware stores, about six hours, and thankfully only $12.The result of my herculean effort: slow faucet. I think it might stay that way for a little while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home