Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Not a funny joke

I wrote the following on the blog I kept while my late wife lay dying in the hospital:
While I was home for dinner, Suzy's sister Ellen arrived from New Jersey, and the two of us returned for the final visiting hour. Suzy continued with the sorbet, so we are encouraged by that.

The best part of the day occurred around 8:30, with me sitting at Suzy's side feeding her and Ellen offering encouragement from across the room ("across the room" is a relative term, since the room is about six feet wide by ten feet long - add a hospital bed, and quarters are pretty tight).

Anyway, Suzy, who is still incapable of any sound above a hoarse whisper, said, as loudly as she could manage, "Ellen!"

Ellen, who could barely hear her from the chair, answered, "What?"

Suzy, gravely: "I have something to tell you."

Ellen: "Okay." She quickly gets up, walks to Suzy's bedside, and anxiously leans her ear very close to Suzy's mouth. Ellen drove 8 hours today to hear her little sister's little whisper of a voice, and now Suzy has something to tell her. The anticipation in the tiny room is palpable. It hangs in the air. Finally, she whispers, almost below the threshold of hearing.

Suzy: "Get the fuck away from me."

I think the three of us together laughed harder than any of us have in the last month.
And today, I received this "joke" in an email:
A woman's husband had been slipping in and out of a coma for several months, yet she had stayed by his bed side every single day.

One day, he motioned for her to come nearer. She sat by him, he whispered, eyes full of tears, "You know what? You have been with me all through the bad times. When I got fired, you were there to support me. When my business failed, you were there. When I got shot, you
were by my side. When we lost the house, you stayed right here. When my health started failing, you were still by my side...You know what?"

"What dear?" she gently asked, smiling as her heart began to fill with warmth.

"I think you're bad luck, get the fuck away from me."
Needless to say, I didn't find the joke particularly amusing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home