Saturday, February 19, 2005

Guilty Pleasure- Dumb Comedy Movies

I love stupid comedies. Give me more pratfalls, poop and fart jokes. As Holden McNeil quoting his grandmother in "Chasing Amy" says, "the big bucks are in dick and fart jokes."

Anyway my top ten dumb comedies. Not really in any particular order.

1. Stripes - Bill Murray at his best. The second half of the movie, post basic training, isn't as good as the first, but the movie is genius. In addition, it features a very young very hot Sean Young.

2. Clerks - I don't know if any Kevin Smith movie can truly be called dumb becuase his dialogue is pure genius, but this movie profane idiocy. Two guys clerking a QuikStop and a Video Rental store. The tenth anniversary edition on DVD is a must for the stuff that didn't make the cut.

3. Caddyshack - I spent an entire summer watching this movie and memorizing every line. "The World needs ditch diggers too." "Night putting, putting at night with the 16 year old daughter of the dean."

4. Kingpin - the funniest grossest use of dental floss ever, a Farrelly brothers gem before their "Something About Mary Peak."

5. UnderCover Brother- Best catfight ever. Brilliant movie, I'm still learning to parallel park my 1949 Studebaker Champion like Undercover Brother parks his Caddy in the opening sequence. That is when I can get my Studebaker to start.

6. Airplane - The grandfather of them all. My grandmother, Kurt's Great Aunt, told my mother and stepdad they had to take me to see this movie because it was so funny. Of courseI was 9 when the movie was out, and my mother was flabbergasted that my grandmother would think it was OK for me to see the sexually charged humor of some of the scenes. I never did look at Boobs the same way again. But at that age blowing up the Autopilot went right over my head.

7. Naked Gun - The last time I didn't want to puke when I saw OJ Simpson. Very funny movie version of the short lived TV series Police Squad!

8. Shrek - Genius! Best work Eddie Murphy's done in a long time. Maybe it because he got to make a literal Jackass of himself.

9. Happy Gilmore - Beware of Alligators on the golf course.

10.Life of Brian - Most people prefer "Monty Python's Holy Grail" but I like this one, perhaps b/c I had to take 3 years of Latin in Catholic High School.

Honorable Mention - Mel Brook's "History of the World Part I" I'm still waiting for part II. I like it better than "Blazing Saddles," but I'm a weirdo.

I'm sure folks disagree with this list and I could name others but that's what the dumb comments section is for.

Sgt. Hulka: “Lighten up, Francis!”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home