Saturday, January 01, 2005

Lamenting Nostalgia for the old bowl game day

Some of my fondest childhood memories are my step-father and I sitting in the family room with three TV's on trying to watch all the bowl games on Jan 1. We had no remote controls or Picture in Picture back then. These days the games have become an even bigger business then they were in the 1980's, and are now spread out over several days.

I miss the sheer gluttony of the old New Year's day where football was truly served up in excess. I also miss the ability to see a player develop over time. Most players are gone by the time they finish their sophomore season. This causes me to argue for the NFL to start a developmental league and let college football return to true student athletes.

Anyway, the New Year's week games are The Capitol One Bowl featuring Iowa vs. LSU. I'm gonna have to cheer for Iowa here for no other reason then I like the Hawkeye uniforms.
Just what is a Capitol One bowl? This must be the circular file (trash can) where all those junk credit card mailings Capitol One sends me wind up shredded.

In the Outback Bowl, where rumor has it, they will substitute a blooming onion for the pigskin. Wisconsin is playing Georgia. I have to go with the Wisconsin Badger's in this one since I went to the Rose bowl a few years ago, 1999, and cheered my heart out while watching Ron Dayne run all over the Pasedena Hometown faves UCLA. I also enjoy reading Ann Althouse's blog especially during the election season or during any interesting judicial development. Not that my home state of Taxssachusetts doesn't have it's share of controversial SJC decisions.

I'm looking forward to the Rose Bowl which will pit Michigan against Texas, and I'll be cheering for the boys from Ann Arbor, MI b/c my high school football team on which I played Offensive Guard in a Delaware Wing-T and was a back-up Defensive End in a 5-2 had helmets with the Michigan style design on them. The Bishop Eustace Crusaders no longer use this style helmet, but we were a damn good team when we did. The University of Delaware still uses this style helmet.

The Fiesta bowl features Utah vs. Pittsburgh. I'll side with the coal town on this one. Especially since Utah creeps me out ever since being subjected to a tour of the Mormons tabernacle site in Salt Lake City which contains a scary light show with animitronics that freaked the hell out of me as a young teenager. I've always found most Mormon missionaries I've met to be very nice people, but I tell you that tour is just one step shy of attempted brain-washing. I know Utah isn't BYU but it's close enough for government work.

The Sugar Bowl is Virginia Tech vs. Auburn on Monday January 3rd. I'm going to side with Auburn on this one since I had an old friend and former boss who was a player and coach for them many years ago.

The big game this year is the Orange bowl and I guess this is fitting since it may be the only decent Orange we get this year after all those hurricanes in Florida. This game features two great QB's going head to head from USC and Oklahoma on Tuesday January 4th. I'm gonna side with Oklahoma here b/c I'm cheering for the underdog and with all my condom purchases in college I've done enough for Trojans. But seriously this should be a good game, I won't get to see b/c having a 6 week old at home causes me to fall down exhausted around 9PM ET.

I'm sure I missed some other games but in this day and age that's to be expected. I'm still patiently waiting for the Tidy Bowl Man Bowl Game which may be the only way my alma mater Cornell University ever gets to play in another Bowl Game.

Good luck to all the players and may they all play safe but hard hitting football and may no one suffer a career ending injury.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home