Monday, November 15, 2004

Messing with TiVo's Head

This weekend we added TiVo to our DirecTV satellite system. Shortly thereafter, I stumbled across a cooking show that had a good-looking recipe for turkey stuffing. With Thanksgiving so close, I recorded it for later use. Then I remembered this:
Mr. Iwanyk, 32 years old, first suspected that his TiVo thought he was gay, since it inexplicably kept recording programs with gay themes. A film studio executive in Los Angeles and the self-described "straightest guy on earth," he tried to tame TiVo's gay fixation by recording war movies and other "guy stuff." "The problem was, I overcompensated," he says. "It started giving me documentaries on Joseph Goebbels and Adolf Eichmann. It stopped thinking I was gay and decided I was a crazy guy reminiscing about the Third Reich."

[...]

Mike Binder, creator and star of that show, had set his home TiVo to record his 1999 movie, "The Sex Monster," about a man whose wife becomes bisexual. After that, Mr. Binder's TiVo assumed he would enjoy a steady stream of gay programming. Unnerved, he counteracted the onslaught by recording the Playboy Channel and MTV's spring break bikini coverage. It worked, he says. "My TiVo doesn't look at me funny anymore." His wife, however, was taken aback when she saw all the half-naked women he was ordering through TiVo. He told her those women meant nothing to him: "I'm just counterprogramming because TiVo thinks I'm gay." She was unamused.

So after recording the recipe on the Food Network, I made sure to record an Episode of Oliver North's "War Stories," just to keep things in proper balance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home